Thursday, April 12, 2012

Science

There are so many science things to do around this time of year! My kindergartners have been learning all about seeds, plants, and flowers. Today we read "The Tiny Seed" by Eric Carle. They just love books by him and who doesn't? Anyway, yesterday we planted lima beans. Hopefully they will grow or the kids will be C-R-U-S-H-E-D!! I put some in a plastic bag with a wet paper towel just in case the plants don't grow. Today we investigated some lima beans that I soaked in water overnight. We used some of our senses to feel, smell, and look at the seeds. We opened the seeds up and used magnifying glasses to look at the seeds closer! The kids really loved finding the sprout that had started to grow inside. Here are some pictures of the activity!




Here are the labels I used for the plant "pots".

 
We also read about the water cycle in our second grade Scholastic News issue this week. I found the Ziploc bag activity on Pinterest. I had each table draw and label the water cycle on a quart sized bag. We filled it with some water and taped it to the window. Today some condensation had formed and by the end of the day, there was some precipitation.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I will have to remember to do this next year when we read the Tiny Seed.

Like your blog.

http://secondgradelockerroom.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I like the water cycle activity....wow....I wish I had seen this before we discussed it....hopefully...i'll remember next year.

Unknown said...

Hi, I like ur post ^_^
I student at elementary school teacher education.
I'll happy, if you share many tips when u r teaching ur students :)

OneMommy said...

Science is always fun when you make it hands on!

Post a Comment